Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Harold Chasen

So there I was, whining about why I couldn't do any report writing, or any writing in particular for lack of inspiration. Though to be honest, I don't think anything will ever inspire me to write a report, except perhaps a promise of a meet and greet with Wes Anderson which I'm pretty sure is not gonna happen this time of my life. But anyway, there I was, silently telling myself that I could die in the next couple of hours and wouldn't even have accomplished anything, at least not a 46th blog post. So I told myself, fine, who cares, I'll just go watch Harold and Maude and die with at least a piqued curiosity since I've been reading that Harold and Maude had amassed quite a following and I have been wanting to find out what the big deal is. I've never really understood why curiosity killed the cat, but after watching Harold and Maude out of curiosity, I know now that curiosity will never kill me. Instead, it will liven me up like a jarful of lilies on a boring piece of furniture and spice me up like cayenne pepper on a Chinese dish. I guess I'm lucky I'm not a cat.

I love Harold and Maude. I understand that it wasn't such a success both among the critical and commercial crowds, but ever since I became addicted to movies, I have learned that the awesomeness of a movie does not always lie in the number of film critics who called it a wonderful piece of art or in the number of people who went out and saw it or bought it on tapes or DVDs. Sometimes, it's enough that the movie told a story and you listened. You didn't just watch, or see. You listened and felt. That was Harold and Maude to me.




I listened and I felt.



I'm not really one of those people who write synopses, so if you happened to come across this blog one boring Sunday afternoon and was wondering when I'd start telling what the movie was about, you have better chance with those idiots who post spoilers on IMDb.

I love Harold and Maude. But if there was only Harold, and no Maude, I'd still love it fiercely. In fact, Maude is actually just a bonus. Just a nice addition, but one you can live without. Harold Chasen on the other hand, is a necessity.



I want to drive off with Harold on a hearse

walk hand in hand on a field of gravestones

do somersaults down a hill.








I think Harold is the best thing to happen to movies.

His weirdness is so new and refreshing and his sadness is just a tad bit too different from everybody else's sadness.

Harold is very unique and special.

And if I could just meet him, I'll make him my friend.





Brings me back to the question, "Why the fuck are all the interesting people imaginary?"





photo credits: Ace Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment